RE: [suse-security] Where to report SPAM, scams, viruses, etc... (when it is illegal)

>Lately, the spam I have been receiving has been more and more offensive

>and illegal in it's offerings (many obious bank fraud scams, pirated
>software, etc...) and when left with only an unlisted phone number or
>domain it can be difficult to know where to send the information to
have
>the proper action taken, especially if it's a foreign country.

Probably not the right way to do it but the South African Police Service
has a department dedicated to "419" scams or advance fee scam.

US. http://www.secretservice.gov/alert419.shtml
South Africa. http://www.saps.gov.za/faq/faq4.htm

419's are bank scams where an illustrius person you have never met asks
you to "hold" some money for them for which you will get a nominal fee.

After much proving who you are to them (sending them your bank details,
identity documents, signature, letterheads) they ask to meet to give you
the goods and you are by that time screwed as they have everything they
need to clear you accounts fraudulently.

See this site for a very good overview of how these scams work.
http://www.419eater.com/html/ahmed_ibrahim.htm
http://www.scamorama.com/crocs2.html