Re: [suse-security] SuSEfirewall2 not routing when both nics on samesubnet

On Tuesday 25 May 2004 13.06, b@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> > should be
> > setting up an ethernet bridge.
>
> Yes, a bridge is not routing. but how do you route between two interfaces
> on the same subnet? AFAIK you can't, hence requiring a bridge.
That is correct, you can't. So a bridge is the only alternative, as you
pointed out.

 My humble point was just to separate the concepts of routing and bridging,
which are two very different ways of forwarding network traffic.
It's the router jockey in me, i guess ;-)

...>
> I used http://ebtables.sourceforge.net/  ebtables to do this and it worked
> like a bomb.
>
> Similar chain string setup as iptables, this made it fairly simple to pick
> up and run.
It's a good tool :-)

//Tony

PS. Sorry for leading the initial subject out of focus.