[suse-security] Re: **maillist-work:: [suse-security] NFS over SSH

Hi,

  I'm desperately trying to set up a secure file sharing server.  It should
  support both user authentification and data encryption.  It will run in a
  non-secure LAN and provide about 15 users with their home directories.

depending on your needs you could either use openafs (supports encryption)

  http://www.openafs.org/

but thats maybe too much for the setting you want.

If you only got around 5 users that want to mount their homes ( -> the "client" machines run linux), you maybe want to give shfs a try:

  http://shfs.sourceforge.net/

Bascically you can mount server directories on your clients, using ssh. This only works, if your "client computers" run linux, because it has a kernel module that allows transparent mounting. Works like a charm for me...

peace,
Tom