Re: [suse-security] Re: **maillist-work:: [suse-security] NFS over SSH

You could also give openvpn a try.  It ships with SuSE's distros and is very
quick and easy to setup.  It is based on openssl.  Then you can do NFS
transparently.

Ferdinand

--On Wednesday, June 02, 2004 05:32:22 PM +0200 January Weiner
<january@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> depending on your needs you could either use openafs (supports encryption)
>>
>>   http://www.openafs.org/
>>
>> but thats maybe too much for the setting you want.
>
> Yeah, this could be an overkill. Afs is much more than what I want and
> setting up could be a little tricky if you lack afs knowledge like I do.
>
>> If you only got around 5 users that want to mount their homes ( -> the
>> "client" machines run linux), you maybe want to give shfs a try:
>>
>>   http://shfs.sourceforge.net/
>>
>> Bascically you can mount server directories on your clients, using ssh. This
>> only works, if your "client computers" run linux, because it has a kernel
>> module that allows transparent mounting. Works like a charm for me...
>
> Hm, I've seen that one, but I was not really sure whether the code is
> mature enough.  I have tried it now, basically I'm enthusiastic, we will
> probably give it a try.  It was really a treat to install and configure,
> I'm enthusiastic.
>
> regards,
>
> January
>

> --

Ferdinand Schmid
Architectural Energy Corporation
Celebrating over 20 Years of Improving Building Energy Performance
http://www.archenergy.com