Re: [suse-security] Fwd: Undelivered Mail Returned to Sender

On Saturday 05 June 2004 11:28, Marc Samendinger wrote:

> The virus warning you got was not a reply to the sender telling
> the sender he is probably infected, but a mail to the recipient
> that someone sent an infected e-mail to him.

Read the message again. It was send from 'MAILER-DAEMON@xxxxxxx' to
'suse-security@xxxxxxxxxxxx'. The latter was the spoofed sender address, so
it was indeed a reply to sender.

> Theres usually no problem in doing so because its a notice to your own
> users.

Which is not the case here.

> The mail you got was just a legit "User Unknown" bounce.

You are a perfect example of people falling in the trap I was warning for.

Best reagards,
Arjen