Re: [suse-security] T-Online abuse address ignoring complaints

Hi,

On Sat, 2004-06-05 at 12:57, Ralph Seichter wrote:
> Gideon Hallett wrote:
>
>  > I've come to the conclusion that t-online (and especially t-dialin)
>  > users are a wretched hive of scum and villainy; and that the company
>  > itself simply doesn't care.
>
> Nonsense. The T-Com dialin infrastructure is the base of a huge number
> number of non-permanent internet connections, both for private and for
> business use (modems, DSL, etc.). T-Online and other German ISPs buy
> connectivity from T-Com. Among these users are, if you permit the pun,
> the good, the bad and the ugly -- just like everywhere else in the
> world.

That's certainly true. But also true is that T-Online doesn not react to
reports about the bad behaviour of some of their customers.

>  > If I could convince my bosses that blocking t-online ranges at the
>  > border was a good idea, I'd have a much easier job as a sysadmin.

That can't be the solution. Whoever needs to take such measures has
already failed at setting up and secure a proper network.

> If you could convice your bosses to do so, I'd very much doubt their
> intelligence. Why not block China or the USA aswell? Why not live on
> an IT island? Millions of people suffer from viruses spoofing sender
> addresses, and in every country there are infected computers. There is
> no "realm of evil" that can be isolated.

So sometimes it would make the job so much easier by just blcoking
packets from certain operating system types :-o

>  > I for one would particularly like to find whoever was 217.234.167.14
>  > (pD9EAA70E.dip.t-dialin.net) at 23:53 on 14/5/04 and point out to
>  > them that what they were doing was illegal and punishable by time in
>  > prison.

Maybe in your country. You have to find out whether the person actually
broke German law. But I have to agree that it's pointless to contact
T-Online. They never reacted to my complaints either.

I find T-Online addresses to be the common mixture like most other
providers too. What's really disturbing are those senseless university
networks where almost every IP from a given range seems to be affected
by some worm or other and is hammering away against my firewall...
That's where operating system related packet dropping would come in
handy...

regards,
Tobias W.