[suse-security] Port 53 denying Clamav update

I run SuSE 9.1 on a standalone workstation with Clamav as a virus
checker.  Clamav worked well until recently when for no apparent reason
I was unable to obtain daily updates with "freshclam".  There has been
considerable correspondence about this on the clamav users forum without
a positive result but experts there think that either my SuSE firewall
or my ISP is preventing both UDP and TCP packets through my port 53. I
am no expert but I am inclined to agree with the former.  "nmap" only
shows ports 22, 25, 111 and 631 open to TCP and I am unable to telnet to
loclhost via port 53.  If this is the case, can anyone tell me (in
simple terms for a newbie) how I can open up  port 53?

Thanks, Gervase