Re: [suse-security] Kernel update hangs system!

In article <Pine.LNX.4.58.0406172358180.17143@xxxxxxxxxxxx>,
   Roman Drahtmueller <draht@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I had the same problem with my server! It took me nearly 3 hours to figure out
> > what was wrong and to roll back to the standard kernel from CD. I found out,
> > that the kernel hangs as soon as the harddrive is mounted with write support!
> > I don't know why.. it makes no sens. I too have an other System where it
> > works perfectly. So SuSE Team! Fix this Bug! Its really anoying!!!!! I wont
> > install the next kernelpatch until its tested and veryfied! I've better
> > things to waste my time on!
> >

> Your anger and dispair understood, but that kernel is tested, and we can't
> reproduce it here.

     Sorry to disappoint you, but I have even had the hang - but not disc
related so far as I can tell from surrounding activity - apparently 'mouse'
related - on my Acer Travelmate 530 (memory extended to 512Mbytes -
otherwise standard release hardware). I am using the Synaptic pad driver.

     With certain window managers (IceWM and OroboROX ) but not KDE (so
far!) the entire system hangs - very occasionally (5/6 times in three days)
when moving or clicking the pad. The only recourse is to use the power
switch!

     However, I have had a file system hang (several times reproducibly)
when trying to write large files across an NFS mount using a 100Mbit
Ethernet. The OS kernel, however, does not appear to hang. If I boot in
fail safe mode (ie Disc DMA disabled) then neither form of hanging occurs.
I do note, however, that on booting normally at some stage in the boot
sequence I see the error message

Spurious 8259 interrupt IRQ 7

     I hope this may offer a few thoughts!

                              Keith Hopper