Re: [suse-security] Kernel update hangs system!

Hi,

I have a similar problem on one of my machines running SuSE Linux 9.1. The
boot process hangs right after fsck has completed and reported all 4
drives as clean. The machine is not completely locked up, the terminal
scrolls down when I press Return, it just doesn't continue to boot.
Booting in failsafe mode leads to the same result.

I have updated another SuSE 9.1 machine which boots up fine. Besides both
machines are running 9.1 they are somewhat different, though.

Working Machine:
P4 3200 with 875P Chipset
1 GB RAM
3ware IDE-RAID controller with 4 drives attached
Hardware RAID 10
reiserfs

Machine which fails to boot:
Athlon 3200 XP with nForce2 Chipset
1 GB RAM
2 IDE drives attached to the mainboard controllers
2 IDE drives attached to a Promise Ultra100TX2 PCI controller
Boot device on the Promise controller
no RAID
all partitions ext3

Best regards,