Re: [suse-security] Kernel update hangs system!

On Jun 18, Al Bogner <suse-linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Am Freitag, 18. Juni 2004 07:20 schrieb Stefan Proels:

The boot process hangs right after fsck
From time to time I hear that machines hang after a kernel-update.
Why doesn't YOU create a multikernel-system with the old _and_ the
new kernel, so you can choose to boot from the old kernel, if the
new hangs?

I'm about to extend fou4s to backup the old kernel, install the new, and copy the old one back (necessary for /lib/modules). It will also warn if you haven't rebooted after an update. I only have to think about a way, that only the last working kernel is kept, and not the last 10 ;-)
But it shouldn't be too hard.

The 2nd question is, why there are only rpms to download? Not everyone knows how extract the sources from a rpm-file.
And not everyone knows how to extract a tar file? I think that this is pointless ("There will always be a greater idiot").

Markus