Re: [suse-security] what has become of the latest kernel hang/freeze bug?

On Wednesday 23 June 2004 10:05, Al Bogner wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, 23. Juni 2004 19:14 schrieb Jim Westbrook:
> > And for many of us the "fix" was worse than the original problem.
> >  The unpatched kernel would at least BOOT.
>
> But this machine is save now :-)
> (waiting too for a new kernel)
>
> If I have to guess, I would say, DMA is involved, because it doesn't
> work with a machine here, where 1 drive has DMA problems and I
> disabled it therefore, while this machine has the same chipset
> (815i) and processor than a working machine.
>
> Al

Many others reported this happened with older drives
in the 4 to 10 gig size.  That size was about the time
the 80wire came into common use - (what is that ata66 or
something?).

How could  this patch, which was only to fix the infinit
loop problem (which one had to specifically compile a
program to actually demonstrate) manage to break disk
access that has been working for years...

--
John Andersen