Re: [suse-security] what has become of the latest kernel hang/freeze bug?

Am Mittwoch, 23. Juni 2004 20:16 schrieb John Andersen:
> On Wednesday 23 June 2004 10:05, Al Bogner wrote:
> > Am Mittwoch, 23. Juni 2004 19:14 schrieb Jim Westbrook:
> > > And for many of us the "fix" was worse than the original
> > > problem. The unpatched kernel would at least BOOT.
> >
> > But this machine is save now :-)
> > (waiting too for a new kernel)
> >
> > If I have to guess, I would say, DMA is involved, because it
> > doesn't work with a machine here, where 1 drive has DMA
> > problems and I disabled it therefore, while this machine has
> > the same chipset (815i) and processor than a working machine.
> >
> > Al
>
> Many others reported this happened with older drives
> in the 4 to 10 gig size.

Here it is a 10GB IBM-DTTA-351010.
If anyone is interested to see my boot.msg with working
2.6.4-54.5-default and hwinfo, have a look at
http://lists.suse.com/archive/suse-linux/2004-Jun/2602.html

But I compiled a plain Vanilla 2.6.7-kernel today on another machine
with a 2GB Maxtor 82100D4 and it worked without problems, but I
don't want to try a 2.6.5-7.75-default from SuSE on this
machine. :-)

Al