Re: [suse-security] what has become of the latest kernel hang/freeze bug?

On Wednesday 23 June 2004 20:16, John Andersen wrote:

> Many others reported this happened with older drives
> in the 4 to 10 gig size.  That size was about the time
> the 80wire came into common use - (what is that ata66 or
> something?).

I don't think it is directly related to the harddrives themselves. I have a
couple of 30GB drives (from the same batch) in different machines. On some
machines, the kernel update freezes the machine, while on others, it works
just fine. With identical harddrives and wiring. I'd say it has something to
do with the chipset on the motherboard.

> How could  this patch, which was only to fix the infinit
> loop problem (which one had to specifically compile a
> program to actually demonstrate) manage to break disk
> access that has been working for years...

Because it uses a different/newer version of the kernel? Note that (contrary
to the common way of backporting bugfixes) the kernel update upgraded the
kernel from 2.6.4 to 2.6.5. I don't know the difference between those two,
but usually upgrading to a newer version means that you'll get new bugs too.

Best regards,
Arjen