Re: [suse-security] what has become of the latest kernel hang/freeze bug?

In article <200406232005.13210.suse-linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
   Al Bogner <suse-linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, 23. Juni 2004 19:14 schrieb Jim Westbrook:
> > And for many of us the "fix" was worse than the original problem.
> >  The unpatched kernel would at least BOOT.

> But this machine is save now :-)
> (waiting too for a new kernel)

> If I have to guess, I would say, DMA is involved, because it doesn't
> work with a machine here, where 1 drive has DMA problems and I
> disabled it therefore, while this machine has the same chipset
> (815i) and processor than a working machine.

     I too have had a DMA problem with nfsd/filesystem - but so far not
since the pached 2.6.5-7.75 for 9.1

    I do, however, have  two quite bad problems -

     (1)  Segmentation fault in line 162  of
          /usr/share/YaST2/clients/sw_single.ycp

     which says

          Pkg::SourceStartCache(true)

     which I presume is a call to some perl package. This prevents software
     update! This is new since the kernel update (obtained on 22nd June
     on-line!).

     (2)  Still (right from first install of 9.1 over 8.2) there are
     intemittent total hang-ups which seem to be associated with the
     Touchpad Synaptic driver - only a power switch off has any effect
     (keyboard driver also not reacting). The kernel seems to 'freeze' as I
     cannot get a response to pinging the machine any longer when this has
     occurred - so it isn't really a security problem - I think(!?!).

                         Keith Hopper

--
City Desk
Waikato University