RE: [suse-security] fix for new elf loader bug?

> From: Frank Steiner [mailto:fsteiner-mail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
>
> Marcus Meissner wrote
>
> > If it applies and builds correctly, yes.
>
> Ok, thanks!
>

> > However, the full final approved fix for all the issues involved might
> > be still pending.
>
> Yes, I'm aware of the difference of my self-patched kernel and an official
> SuSE release :-) No question that you do the more intensive and better
> testing! I just want a quick fix for now and don't mind to upgrade again
> after you've released the official update, possibly with more fixes.

An immediate hotfix that requires no patching or updates is to disable core
dumps.

As mentioned in http://www.isec.pl/vulnerabilities/isec-0023-coredump.txt
(This is from the guy who discovered this problem - see
http://secunia.com/advisories/15341 )

"A hotfix for this vulnerability is  to  disallow
processes  to  drop  core.  This can be accomplished by setting the hard
core size limit for users to 0 (e.g. ulimit -H -c 0, man limits.conf)."