Re: [suse-security] VPS & Firewall problem

Hi Marek,

> I've got a burning problem with my VPS running under SuSE with Plesk.
> Well... I've tried to configure firewall thru YaST tool and I
> configured sth badly cause I lost access to my server. No problem, I
> though cause I still could switch to Repair Mode with Plesk... so I
> did.
> But the problem is, that when I'm changing anything while under Repair
> Mode, after restart all changes are changing back to old/bad ones :/

--> usually in repair mode, you have to mount the original filesystem
under e.g. /mnt
The files you have to change are then
/mnt/etc/sysconfig/SuSEfirewall2 a.s.o

> I've tried to edit /etc/sysconfig/SuSEfirewall2 or even delete
> firwall script from /init.d/ with no effect - files are returning
> after restart.

--> I have no experience with Plesk so I can't help you with this
problem.

> My question is: Could someone please tell me how to turn off this
> damn SuSEfirewall and configure firewall in future only thru
> iptables ?

--> You can remove the SuSEfirewall by De-Installing it with YaST oder
on the command-line with "rpm -e SuSEfirewall2"

Or you can turn it off in the Init-Scripts with the Runlevel-Editor of
YaST or on the command-line with "insserv -r SuSEfirewall2" in the
directory "/etc/init.d"

HTH,
Armin

--
Am Hasenberg 26         office: Institut für Atmosphärenphysik
D-18209 Bad Doberan             Schloss-Straße 6