Re[2]: [suse-security] VPS & Firewall problem

Hi Armin,

> Hi Marek,

>> I've got a burning problem with my VPS running under SuSE with Plesk.
>> Well... I've tried to configure firewall thru YaST tool and I
>> configured sth badly cause I lost access to my server. No problem, I
>> though cause I still could switch to Repair Mode with Plesk... so I
>> did.
>> But the problem is, that when I'm changing anything while under Repair
>> Mode, after restart all changes are changing back to old/bad ones :/

-->> usually in repair mode, you have to mount the original filesystem
> under e.g. /mnt
> The files you have to change are then
> /mnt/etc/sysconfig/SuSEfirewall2 a.s.o

as I observed it automatically mount to /repair - that was the key...
thanks

>> I've tried to edit /etc/sysconfig/SuSEfirewall2 or even delete
>> firwall script from /init.d/ with no effect - files are returning
>> after restart.

-->> I have no experience with Plesk so I can't help you with this
> problem.

>> My question is: Could someone please tell me how to turn off this
>> damn SuSEfirewall and configure firewall in future only thru
>> iptables ?

-->> You can remove the SuSEfirewall by De-Installing it with YaST oder
> on the command-line with "rpm -e SuSEfirewall2"

> Or you can turn it off in the Init-Scripts with the Runlevel-Editor of
> YaST or on the command-line with "insserv -r SuSEfirewall2" in the
> directory "/etc/init.d"

YaST need firewall's RPMs so I just removed scripts from /etc/init.d
and now works fine...