Re: [suse-security] How do I encypt the swap (partition[s]) under SuSE 9.3 Prof ?

Hi Carlos,

Carlos E. R. wrote:

> The Friday 2005-11-18 at 11:18 +0100, Dirk Schreiner wrote:
>
>> The way was to format swap every boottime with a new
>> generated encryption Key and store the key only in
>> the Kernel.
>
> How about in-use speed?

Security is costy SCNR.

But as you can use symetric encryption,
it is not too costy.
Just Think swap is 100 Times slower than Ram.
So slowing down swap a little would not have too much
Effect overall.
And don`t forget, normaly the most swap actions are
done during Idle time.
Just compare, if it fit`s for you.

>> And don`t use suspend to harddisk ;-))
>
> Too bad :-(

Aehm Linux _is_ wonderful ;-)

http://www.suspend2.net/features

But anyway, maybe it is easier to shutdown, and reboot,
than typing in a long and secure passphrase during boot.

Do you have a smartcard reader ?

Greetings,
Dirk

TRIA IT-consulting GmbH
Joseph-Wild-Straße 20
81829 München
Germany
Tel: +49 (89) 92907-0
Fax: +49 (89) 92907-100
http://www.tria.de

Registergericht München HRB 113466
USt.-IdNr. DE 180017238 Steuer-Nr. 802/40600
Geschäftsführer: Richard Hofbauer
Nachricht von: Dirk.Schreiner@xxxxxxx
Nachricht an: robin1.listas@xxxxxxxxxx, suse-security@xxxxxxxx
# Dateianhänge: 0