Re: [suse-security] Patch Noifications

On Friday 06 January 2006 10:03 am, Ron Joffe wrote:
> My questions is two fold. First is this group aware of any other patches
> that would require user interaction. For example if I have set up automatic
> updates, in what instances would I need to reboot and/or manually restart a
> damon.

The benefit of the patch is not realized if one of the patched modules
is in memory.  So if sendmail or postfix were patched you might miss
something important if you only rebooted or restarted for kernel patches.

If as root you do
lsof |grep "RPMDELETE"

it will list all modules that are in memory but which have been
replaced by an updated rpm.  You can then schedule these for
restart, or reboot as you wish.

--
John Andersen