[suse-security] Re: backup solution

On Mar 27, Andy <frum@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi to all,
>
> I know it is not security related topic, but I don't want to subscribe
> to another thread.
> I want to ask for a backup tool for suse 10.
> For the configuration files and mailserver I am using rsync to backup
> the files.
> How can I backup the user list and passwords... and recover them easy in
> case of disaster??

Hi Andy,

First, please fix your mail client to insert line breaks after ~72
characters. I see that you are using Outlook Express which is rather
dangerous to use, apart from being non-compliant to standards in several
ways. It is easily replaced by the free and more feature-rich Mozilla
Thunderbird Mail (http://www.mozilla.com/thunderbird/).

Second, the answer to your question is an easy one. The users and
passwords are kept in the file /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow.

But instead of saving only those two (with tar), I would backup the whole
/etc directory, e.g.

# tar czvf /data/backup/etc.tar.gz /etc

Markus