To: <suse-security@xxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, March 27, 2006 9:58 PM
Subject: Re: [suse-security] Re: backup solution

Hello,

Am Montag, 27. März 2006 20:41 schrieb Markus Gaugusch:
On Mar 27, Andy <frum@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I want to ask for a backup tool for suse 10.
> For the configuration files and mailserver I am using rsync to
> backup the files.
> How can I backup the user list and passwords... and recover them
> easy in case of disaster??
[...]
Second, the answer to your question is an easy one. The users and
passwords are kept in the file /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow.

But instead of saving only those two (with tar), I would backup the
whole /etc directory, e.g.

# tar czvf /data/backup/etc.tar.gz /etc

I would not recommend compressed tar archives for doing backups - if one
bit breaks, the whole archive can be unusable.

Andy: If you already have rsync running, just use it to save all
of /etc.

If you need multiple backup instances, I'd recommend to use storeBackup
on the rsync copy.

For those who understand german: (sorry, no translation available)
   7. Backup
   http://suse-linux-faq.koehntopp.de/ch/ch-backup.html

Regards,

Christian Boltz
--
[Subject: Re: hpdarm bei Systemstart]
Äh, sorry, es geht natürlich um hdparm, nicht um die Gedärme eines hp:-)