Re: [suse-security] Re: backup solution

Hi Andy,

Am Tuesday 28 March 2006 13:19 schrieb Andy:
> > Second, the answer to your question is an easy one. The users and
> > passwords are kept in the file /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow.
>
> So if I overwrite these 2 files the users are restored? How can I then
> automatically create them the local directories?
> Let's say if we ignore the user files in case of crash), do I have to save
> the directory structure?

The far better solution would be to backup your data (with the directory
structure part of it) on a regular basis and your configuration (including
things like passwd, shadow etc.) everytime something changes.
When you use differential backups the amount of extra space needed is
manageable.

As Christian pointed out, take a look at the link he sent.

Greetings
Wolfgang

   Wolfgang Leithner           Pinguin-Systeme.at
   GF Bereich Systeme und Security
   http://www.pinguin-systeme.at
   GPG Key Fingerprint:
   21FE FB64 BD83 8385 364A  E927 BB2F F331 84FD 12A9
 GPG Public Key can be found at:
 http://www.pinguin-systeme.at/privacy/wl.asc