Re: [suse-security] Command line version of You

Bob Vickers wrote:
> Since upgrading to 10.1 I have found applying security updates has become
> an extremely hit-and-miss process which takes much longer than it did
> under SuSE 9.3. I would be very grateful if someone could answer two
> questions:
>
> (1) What is the simplest way of applying security updates from the
> command-line? Something equivalent to
>  online_update security
>
> (2) How do you configure it to use a local mirror instead of the far-off
> Austrian mirror that the Setup process likes to configure?
>
> I have looked at the rug man page and frankly don't understand it (the
> only bit I do understand turns out to be a lie: it says the only command
> you need is 'rug update'). I'm not interested in catalogues and services
> etc, I just want to install security updates.

There is a beta version of fou4s for 10.1 at http://fou4s.gaugusch.at/

The entire zen/rug thing still has yet to even provide the functionality
of the previous update system (no delta rpms, for instance) and takes
far more resources.

fou4s is a rather large shell script that manages updates via the
command line and is designed to easily be put into a cron job to check
and download updates, then install them at your command. (or even
install them from cron, if you prefer)  It's kinda sad when a shell
script is a better system than zen/rug.  Can you believe Novell actually
charges people for the zen suite?