Re: [suse-security] Bug in nfsd from kernel 2.6.16.21-0.13

I would call his bug, a bug and a denial of service that any
user could trigger.

Thanks,

LDB

Mike Siedelberg wrote:
I thought this list was for SECURITY issues, which is why I subscribed to it. Aren't there any other lists for discussing normal system bugs that this sort of traffic should go to?

I find a lot of unnecessary chatter on non-security issues. I really hate to censor anything, but on these lists that aren't moderated (presuming that it's not monitored) sometimes discussions get carried away.
Just thought I would raise the point.

Mike Siedelberg
Jackson National Life Insurance-IT Security
Desk Phone 517-367-3546
Cell Phone 517-230-0922

Marco Munderloh <munderl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> 07/25/2006 12:31 PM

suse-security@xxxxxxxx
cc

Subject
[suse-security] Bug in nfsd from kernel 2.6.16.21-0.13

Hello,

I discovered a bug in the nfs daemon delivered with the kernel update to
kernel 2.6.16.21-0.13.

When accessing a large amount of files over an nfs export from a machine
with SuSE 10.1 and kernel 2.6.16.21-0.13, stale NFS handles occur. After
a short period (3-5s) the files are accessible again. "grep -R hello" *
triggers the bug for example.

My configuration:
SuSE 10.1 with kernel 2.6.16.21-0.13, NFS export of an XFS filesystem
mounted on different clients with autofs (UDP and TCP).

Degrading back the kernel to 2.6.16.13-4 and all works fine again.

Regards, Marco