Re: [suse-security] How to not allowing YoU to update the kernel?

On Fri, 28 Jul 2006 09:15 am, Beck, Odd Arne wrote:

> I've been trying to find a manual for YaST (YoU)
> but haven't found the answers..
>
> As I have installed a program that requires the server
> to have a "stable" kernel version I would like YoU
> to NOT update the kernel unless I say so.

You didn't say what version of SuSE you are using.

If it's a SuSE 9.3, 10.0, or 10.1
 then at the bottom of the graphic YOU window
 click the "Configure fully automatic update" button.
This gives you the "YOU automatic mode setup" window.
At the bottom is a check-box
 "Skip patches with pre-install information".
Selecting this will screen out all kernel upgrades,
 as they will always warn about the impending reboot.
It also sends root an email warning of the skipped patch.

SLES9 Lacks this important feature,
 so I can't use auto-update on any production boxes.

Maybe your suggestion of locking the kernel in YaST will work.
Or perhaps if you were custom-compiling your kernels,
 then YaST shouldn't do any upgrades on you.

Just get the kernel source,
 cd into /usr/src/linux  and  type  "make cloneconfig"
  and it will set things up to compile the stock kernel.
Run that and YaST should leave it alone.

FWIW,
michaelj

--
Michael James                         michael.james@xxxxxxxx
System Administrator                    voice:  02 6246 5040

No matter how much you pay for software,
 you always get less than you hoped.
Unless you pay nothing, then you get more.