Re: [opensuse-security] Kernel Update for 11.1

On 01/15/2010 09:11 AM, Togan Muftuoglu wrote:
> Marcus Meissner wrote:
>
>> The timestamp is the one from the opensuse 11.1 update kernel, however
>> the 2.6.11.4-20a-default seems to come from somewhere else.
>> Does anything change the "uname" of your machine?
>>
> AFAIK nothing changes the name of the machine.
>
> Togan

I would recommend double checking your menu.lst.  I have updated 2 11.1
machines with the kernel update, and the update to menu.lst was screwed
on both.  Luckily, I learned on the first one (my local laptop), so I
made a backup of the menu.lst before updating the server I am
maintaining remotely.  On my local machine, it left me at a grub screen
as it changed which disk was the boot disk, as well as screwed up
entries.  I would make sure if you have the mentioned kernel present in
/lib/modules, and double check the hd entries in menu.lst.  For example,
my boot partition is (hd1,1), but after the update it was set to
(hd0,1).  HTH, and good to see you on the list again.  :-)

--
Joe Morris