Re: [opensuse-security] Question about Seccheck showing kernel tainted (and then not)

On Fri, Jun 03, 2016 at 09:15:48AM +0200, stakanov@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Question about SecCheck:
> Two days ago I did get a curious outcome, saying:
>

> - kernel.tainted = 0
> + kernel.tainted = 52
>
> And they day after:
>

> - kernel.tainted = 512
> + kernel.tainted = 0
>

> So the question I have  is: how can a kernel be marked "tainted" and the day after "untainted"?
> I since I did not AFAIK install something that taints, is that provoked by a patch? Or do I maybe have a hardware problem (memory?)

52 is 0x34, which I think would be TAINT_CPU_OUT_OF_SPEC / TAINT_MACHINE_CHECK / TAINT_BAD_PAGE
512 is 0x200, which would be TAINT_WARN

Is there something in "dmesg" ?

Usually tainted woule go down to 0 only on reboots btw.

Ciao, Marcus