UNIRAS Brief - 85/04 - Slackware Security Bulletin - Kernel security update

- ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   UNIRAS (UK Govt CERT) Briefing Notice - 85/04 dated 26.02.04  Time: 10:20
  UNIRAS is part of NISCC (National Infrastructure Security Co-ordination Centre)
- ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  UNIRAS material is also available from its website at www.uniras.gov.uk and
         Information about NISCC is available from www.niscc.gov.uk
- ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Title
=====

Slackware Security Bulletin:

Kernel security update.

Detail
======

New kernels are available for Slackware 9.1 and -current to fix a bounds-checking
problem in the kernel's mremap() call which could be used by a local attacker to
gain root privileges. Please note that this is not the same issue as CAN-2003-0985
which was fixed in early January.

- -----------------------------------------------------------------------------

[slackware-security]  Kernel security update  (SSA:2004-049-01)

New kernels are available for Slackware 9.1 and -current to fix a bounds-checking problem in the kernel's mremap() call which could be used by a local attacker to gain root privileges. Please note that this is not the same issue as CAN-2003-0985 which was fixed in early January.

The kernels in Slackware 8.1 and 9.0 that were updated in January are not vulnerable to this new issue because the patch from Solar Designer that was used to fix the CAN-2003-0985 bugs also happened to fix the problem that was discovered later.

Sites running Slackware 9.1 or -current should upgrade to a
new kernel.  After installing the new kernel, be sure to run 'lilo'.

More details about this issue may be found in the Common Vulnerabilities and Exposures (CVE) database:

  http://cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvename.cgi?name=CAN-2004-0077

Here are the details from the Slackware 9.1 ChangeLog:
+--------------------------+
Wed Feb 18 03:44:42 PST 2004
patches/kernels/:  Recompiled to fix another bounds-checking error in
  the kernel mremap() code.  (this is not the same issue that was fixed
  on Jan 6)  This bug could be used by a local attacker to gain root
  privileges.  Sites should upgrade to a new kernel.  After installing
  the new kernel, be sure to run 'lilo'.
    For more details, see:
    http://cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvename.cgi?name=CAN-2004-0077
  Thanks to Paul Starzetz for finding and researching this issue.
  (* Security fix *)
patches/packages/kernel-ide-2.4.24-i486-2.tgz:  Patched, recompiled.
  (* Security fix *)
patches/packages/kernel-source-2.4.24-noarch-2.tgz:  Patched the kernel
  source with a fix for the mremap() problem from Solar Designer, and
  updated the Speakup driver (not pre-applied).
  (* Security fix *)
+--------------------------+

WHERE TO FIND THE NEW PACKAGES:
+-----------------------------+

Updated packages for Slackware 9.1: ftp://ftp.slackware.com/pub/slackware/slackware-9.1/patches/packages/kernel-ide-2.4.24-i486-2.tgz
ftp://ftp.slackware.com/pub/slackware/slackware-9.1/patches/packages/kernel-source-2.4.24-noarch-2.tgz

An alternate kernel may be installed.  Those are found in this directory: ftp://ftp.slackware.com/pub/slackware/slackware-9.1/patches/kernels/

Updated packages for Slackware -current: ftp://ftp.slackware.com/pub/slackware/slackware-current/slackware/a/kernel-ide-2.4.24-i486-2.tgz
ftp://ftp.slackware.com/pub/slackware/slackware-current/slackware/k/kernel-source-2.4.24-noarch-2.tgz
ftp://ftp.slackware.com/pub/slackware/slackware-current/bootdisks/
ftp://ftp.slackware.com/pub/slackware/slackware-current/kernels/

MD5 SIGNATURES:
+-------------+

MD5 signatures may be downloaded from our FTP server:

Slackware 9.1 packages: ftp://ftp.slackware.com/pub/slackware/slackware-9.1/patches/CHECKSUMS.md5

To verify authenticity, this file has been signed with the Slackware GPG key (use 'gpg --verify'):

ftp://ftp.slackware.com/pub/slackware/slackware-9.1/patches/CHECKSUMS.md5.asc

Slackware -current packages: ftp://ftp.slackware.com/pub/slackware/slackware-current/CHECKSUMS.md5
ftp://ftp.slackware.com/pub/slackware/slackware-current/CHECKSUMS.md5.asc

INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS:
+------------------------+

Use upgradepkg to install the new kernel package.
After installing the kernel-ide package you will need to run lilo ('lilo' at a command prompt) or create a new system boot disk ('makebootdisk'), and reboot.

If desired, a kernel from the kernels/ directory may be used instead.  For example, to use the kernel in kernels/scsi.s/, you would copy it to the boot directory like this:

cd kernels/scsi.s
cp bzImage /boot/vmlinuz-scsi.s-2.4.24

Create a symbolic link:
ln -sf /boot/vmlinuz-scsi.s-2.4.24 /boot/vmlinuz

Then, run 'lilo' or create a new system boot disk and reboot.

+-----+

Slackware Linux Security Team
http://slackware.com/gpg-key
security@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

| unsubscribe!                                                           |

- ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For additional information or assistance, please contact the HELP Desk by
telephone or Not Protectively Marked information may be sent via
EMail to: uniras@xxxxxxxxxxxx

Office Hours:
Mon - Fri: 08:30 - 17:00 Hrs
Tel: +44 (0) 20 7821 1330 Ext 4511
Fax: +44 (0) 20 7821 1686

Outside of Office Hours:
On Call Duty Officer:
Tel: +44 (0) 20 7821 1330 and follow the prompts

- ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
UNIRAS wishes to acknowledge the contributions of Slackware for the information
contained in this Briefing.
- ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This Briefing contains the information released by the original author. Some
of the information may have changed since it was released. If the vulnerability
affects you, it may be prudent to retrieve the advisory from the canonical site
to ensure that you receive the most current information concerning that problem.

Reference to any specific commercial product, process, or service by trade
name, trademark manufacturer, or otherwise, does not constitute or imply
its endorsement, recommendation, or favouring by UNIRAS or NISCC.  The views
and opinions of authors expressed within this notice shall not be used for
advertising or product endorsement purposes.

Neither UNIRAS or NISCC shall also accept responsibility for any errors
or omissions contained within this briefing notice. In particular, they shall
not be liable for any loss or damage whatsoever, arising from or in connection
with the usage of information contained within this notice.

UNIRAS is a member of the Forum of Incident Response and Security Teams (FIRST)
and has contacts with other international Incident Response Teams (IRTs) in
order to foster cooperation and coordination in incident prevention, to prompt
rapid reaction to incidents, and to promote information sharing amongst its
members and the community at large.
<End of UNIRAS Briefing>