Re: win32 heap overflow exploitation

----- Original Message -----
From: "Adik" <netninja@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: <vuln-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: <pen-test@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, October 26, 2003 3:29 AM
Subject: win32 heap overflow exploitation

> Hi there folks,
>
> I'm havin a problem exploiting an application vulnerable to heap overflow. i
> can write 4 bytes to any place in the memory.
>
> mov dword ptr[eax], ecx
> mov dword ptr[ecx+4], eax
>
> I control ecx and eax. I tried overwriting unhandledexceptionfilter pointer
> (located at address 77ee044c) with a pointer to call [ebp-28] this is where a
> pointer to my shellcode is located.
>
> eax=77ee044c   <--- unhandledexceptionfilter pointer of my version of Windows
> ecx=77f8ce83   <--- .text unwritable address points to -> call [ebp-28]
>
> The second line mov dword ptr[ecx+4], eax suppouse to trigger access violation
> on write , because ecx is unwritable address thus invokin exception handler.
> Because exception handler address is overwritten with pointer to call [ebp-28],
> it should theoretically execute call [ebp-28] then my shellcode. But its not
> doin so. Maybe i'm doin somethin wrong. A little help on that would b great.

Have you set a breakpoint on the filter to verify that the offset contains your data?
If using the unhandled exception filter your data should also exist at [esi+4c].

> What else can i overwrite with my 4 bytes except exception pointers? eEye
> mentioned overwriting PEB lockin pointers. Could anyone please clarify it? I
> couldn't find info on that. Any tips/tricks/methods/techniques/links/papers on
> exploiting windows based heap overflows would b greatly appreciated. thanx

The PEB is the Process Environment Block, there is some documentation of the
structure at http://undocumented.ntinternals.net/UserMode/Undocumented%20Functions/NT%20Objects/Process/PEB.html

At PEB_BASE+0x20 and PEB_BASE+0x24 are pointers to the peb lock and unlock routines.
As the PEB is always mapped at 7FFDF000, overwriting a lock pointer is a good route to take to achieve reliability across versions.
Remember to replace the function pointer address when your shellcode is executing.

> Adik

Barnaby Jack
Research Engineer
eEye Digital Security