[ISN] =?iso8859-7?q?Hack_of_Energy=A2s_Pacific_Northwest_lab_expl?==?iso8859-7?q?oited_zero-day_vulnerability?=

http://gcn.com/articles/2011/07/12/energy-lab-attack-zero-day-exploit.aspx

By William Jackson
GCN.com
July 12, 2011

The cyberattack that took the Energy Departmentâs Pacific Northwest National Laboratory offline on July 1 exploited a zero-day vulnerability to infect the systems with an Advanced Persistent Threat, lab CIO Jerry Johnson said July 12.

Although external e-mail and some internal communications have been restored, the labâs website at www.pnl.gov remains unavailable and the Richland, Wash., lab still has no Internet access. Johnson said he hopes that remaining services will be restored by late Wednesday, July 13, or early Thursday.

âThe landscape we are protecting is very large,â Johnson said. âGiven the scope and complexity of our network and information systems, we have made excellent progress restoring services."

Pacific Northwest was one of two Energy Department labs that became aware of an attack on July 1. The Thomas Jefferson Laboratory National Accelerator Facility in Newport News, Va., also went offline for a period after the attack was discovered, but restored Internet services and began rebuilding its Web site, at www.jlab.org, last week.

[...]
Tegatai Managed Colocation: Four Provider Blended
Tier-1 Bandwidth, Fortinet Universal Threat Management,
Natural Disaster Avoidance, Always-On Power Delivery
Network, Cisco Switches, SAS 70 Type II Datacenter.
Find peace of mind, Defend your Critical Infrastructure.
http://www.tegataiphoenix.com/