Re: Multicast Keyserver Synchronization

On Fri, Jun 25, 1999 at 10:42:21AM -0400, Paul Koning <pkoning@xedia.com> wrote:
> Hm, this sounds like IS-IS or OSPF or similar routing update
> distribution protocols.  Given that this is a long-studied area in
> layer 3, it's probably a good idea to examine that literature.  There
> are plenty of pitfalls to be avoided, and at this point it is known
> how to do so.

Paul,

would you happen to have pointers to good literature around?

> (By the way, a timestamp may be better than a sequence number.)

I don't see the advantages of a timestamp.
The advantage of a sequence number is that you immediately know about
holes, updates which you have missed. As long as entries are superseding
each other, a timestamp is just fine, but if it is only additive (as with
PGP), I feel that seqnos are more appropriate.

-Marcel