Re: [suse-security] Sec. Update of KDE

On Oct 18, Volker Kuhlmann <hidden@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> What I would find really useful is something which also places
> downloaded packages into a local mirror which can be burned on cd and
> can also be filled up with rsync, and which uses the local mirror in
> preference to downloading. It must function without patch descriptions,
> although they may be used if available. It should run considerably
> faster than YOU. Handling the kernels, people and supplementary trees
> would be a real bonus.
You are talking about gpd.sh (patch description generator) + fou4s ;-)
Although I use wget and not rsync (yet), it is pretty fast.
The latest beta (including gpd.sh) can be found at
http://fou4s.gaugusch.at/beta/. Gpd.sh should work out of the box for the
supplementary tree, just edit the example config file (GpdList=) to select
the updates you want (KDE, Gnome, XFree).
> I admit not having yet tried fou4s. Personally the patch descriptions
> don't tell me why the patch is there, I already know that ages
> beforehand by reading the "pending" sections in SuSE's advisories and
> skimming over bugtraq.
Two years ago I would have agreed with you, but now I'm much too busy to
remember all this things. The patch descriptions are a very nice bonus
from SuSE (I miss this with debian, although I must admit that I haven't
digged into this very deep).

Markus