Re: [suse-security] Tool to analyze firewall messages

Achim Hoffmann wrote:
Where can I define the log-file in FW2? I would like to have an own
fw-logfile to have a better overview of the other messages

I'm not shure how FW2 handles this, but to write in another log file than
/var/log/messages, you need the ulog extension to iptables, available at
	http://www.iptables.org/

Hi Achim, hi Al,

that's not the only option. Another option is to specify some other logging target in the syslog-config for kernel messages. For syslogd you need an entry similar to this in /etc/syslog.conf:

kern.info		/var/log/kern_info.log

This entry tells syslogd to log everything from facility kernel with priority info to /var/log/kern_info.log. iptables come from kernel an have priority info.

Hope that helps!

Best regards,

Ralf