Re: [suse-security] AmaVis or InterScan VirusWall

On Wednesday 23 October 2002 23:25, Philippe Vogel wrote:

> Avmilter is fine, but does not allow certain sites.
> It goes between sendmail or postfix and does act as smtp.

No. That's 'avmailgate'. Although it reports itself as 'avmailgate' when you
(re)start the daemon, 'avmilter' scanner runs via the milter interface in
sendmail. Therefor sendmail is still my MTA, which is needed because I do not
want to loose the RBL features (as you indicated also).

> I would not use it, because the features of your original mail transport
> are bypassed.

They are not...

> Another thing is use more than one mailscanner, because the antivir
> virus scanner does know less viruses than some other products.

Of course it is always better to have some kind of redundancy. But I already
have that in the form of e-mail virusscanners running on the Windows PCs in
my network. My poor man's server just cannot handle the load multiple
scanners would cause...

Arjen
--
51 N 25' 05.1" - 05 E 29' 13.3"