[suse-security] Re: [SLE] Re: [suse-security] root login disabled for KDM - SOLVED

On Wednesday 01 October 2003 7:57 am, Joe Morris (NTM) wrote:
> >I have remote login and shutdown disabled via "Control Center->System
> >Administration->Login Manager".  System UID set to Below 0 and Above
> > 65000. "unhidden with every hidden but root (before I had  Below 500 and
> > had "Selected only" which included "root").
>
> Check to make sure /opt/kde3/share/config/kdm/kdmrc is a symlink to
> /etc/opt/kde3/share/config/kdm/kdmrc.  The control Center edits the
> /etc/...file, but kdm reads the opt...file, so these need to be the
> same.  Often, an update will mv the symlink and install a default kdmrc
> in the opt... replacing the one you see in CC.  Check it out.

Thanks.  This was half the solution.  It was NOT a symlink. Thanks also to
Manfred Hollstein who wrote:
Make sure to set the following in /etc/opt/kde3/share/config/kdm/kdmrc
in section [X-*-Core]:

  AllowRootLogin=true
I had multiple (well, two) [X-*-Core] sections but only the last mattered.
Setting AllowRootLogin=true and making the symlink fixed the problem.

Thanks to all.

Regards,
Bob Pearson