[suse-security] Problem: permission bits changed on files automatically

Anybody have any experience with this?

On an intermittent basis,  all of the files in my home directory with mode
0775 are changed to mode 0675 without my knowledge.

I've checked the cron jobs for root to see if anything looks out of place, but
nothing shows up.

I'm running SuSE 8.2, with everything up to date, but this has been happening
since version 7.3, it's just now become so frequent that I've decided I have
to resolve it.

I usually discover the problem when shell scripts or Perl scripts suddenly
stop working when I call them from either the command line or cron.

My SuSE system is on DSL, with a D-Link 604 DSL router, an internal network
with Windoze 2000 (two laptops and a desktop) and an old SCO Unix 5.0 box.

I have Samba 2.2.7a running to allow the Windoze boxes to use the SuSE box as
a file exchange point, McAfee virusscan is installed on all Windoze boxes.

I do cross-platform database development using Linux, Windoze, and Unix, but
my primary box and my desktop are Linux. Windoze is there solely for
development purposes.

I've been a Unix/Linux system administrator for 15 years - my firs Unix box
was a Unisys Tower (re-badged NCR Tower) with a Motorola 68020 processor and
NCR Tower Unix (AT&T SystemV release 2.5). Things have come a mightly klong
way since then.

At any rate, if anyone can shed any light on this, it would be appreciated.