RE: [suse-security] Solved ! RE: [suse-security] SuSe Firewall 2 - FW_HTB_TUNE_DEV ???

Hi Stefan,

> From: Stefan Seyfried [mailto:seife@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
>
> > Update after some tests:
> > I have investigated data with "Ethereal", the online-update of Suse
8.2
> > gets it's updates from pub/suse/i386/update/8.1/....
>
> this is weird. I don't know exactly where where you have to look for
the
> wrong setting...
> Was this 8.2 an updated 8.1 or did it change its identity by accident?

No this was a fresh install of 8.2

> I never heard of a problem like that, but i also never do updates, i
> always do fresh installs, just keeping my $HOME and /usr/local, which
are
> on different partitions/drives/machines.

I have investigated more, because today I had the same problem again !!!
The configuration was changed, by the automatic update script which you
can select by "YOU".  When you select the auto-update facility from
"YOU" there will be an entry "/etc/cron.d/yast2-online-update"

The contents of this is :
23 20 * * * root online_update    (I programmed it at 20:23 hours)

"/usr/bin/online_update" is getting the updates automatically, but
unfortunately it is an old version :

linux:/ # online_update -c
Product:      SuSE-Linux
Version:      8.1
Architecture: i386
Language:     de
Directory:    directory.3

If you try to use it in 'dry mode' with verbose output, you see :

linux:/etc/cron.d # online_update -d -V
Types of patches to be installed: security recommended

As you can see, it gets the updates from the 8.1 version again.

I think it can be solved to change the cron-job to :
23 20 * * * root online_update -v 8.2

When trying this manually and verbose :
linux:/ # online_update -v 8.2 -d -V
Types of patches to be installed: security recommended

Could you try with "online-update -c" if your version is also 8.1 ?
If so, this must be a bug ....

Regards,
Cees