Re: [suse-security] root has no shell

On Wednesday 08 October 2003 16:11, Ulrich Kautz wrote:
> Thanks for your advice, but when i try "chsh root" i get back:
> "your shell is not in /etc/shells"

Indeed, cause what you've done effectively is the equivalent of
leaving and locking your car, with the keys still inside.

> I forgot to mention, that the problem is not on my home system, its on my
> Webserver. Unfortunally i cant insert any CD and reboot.

Yeah yeah. Forget your webserver's uptime.
Quite sorry but you will have to.  There is no way to fix this not being
at the console.  However, you may not need the CD but can instead enter
the line "init=/bin/bash" after the linux boot target (at reboot).
If this is not locked out by default, and that depends...   in all other
cases you do need a rescue boot medium, be it a CD, a floppy or...

> Any ideas whats wrong?

You did something you shouldn't have, without overseeing the consequences,
that's what _really_ wrong.  What's technically wrong is that by changing
the shell for root you killed the only account that can change that back.

--
Yes of course I'm sure it's the red cable. I guarante[^%!/+)F#0c|'NO CARRIER