Re: [suse-security] Solved ! RE: [suse-security] SuSe Firewall 2 - FW_HTB_TUNE_DEV ???

> > I have investigated data with "Ethereal", the online-update of Suse 8.2
> > gets it's updates from pub/suse/i386/update/8.1/....
>
> this is weird. I don't know exactly where where you have to look for the
> wrong setting...
> Was this 8.2 an updated 8.1 or did it change its identity by accident?
>
> > So the update program was getting the wrong updates (8.1 instead of 8.2)
> > all the time. This is probably also the answer of other minor problems
> > with updating.

Yes I have seen this too on all 3 8.1 machines I updated to 8.2 (all
the other 8.2 were fresh installs). I was under the impression that SuSE
updates actually worked.

There was absolutely no way to convince yast update that this was not
an 8.1 machine (/etc/SuSE-release contained 8.2), it insisted on
enough there was a file containing 8.1 in either its name, its content,
or both. Deleting that solved the trouble, and immediately YOU offered
the 8.2 updates instead of the 8.1 updates. The file seems no longer
used by 8.2 yast, and I can't remember exactly what it was called.

Volker

http://volker.dnsalias.net/		Please do not CC list postings to me.