Re: [suse-security] Problem: permission bits changed on files automatically (SOLVED)

Stefan:

On Monday 06 October 2003 07:17 am, Stefan Seyfried wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 03, 2003 at 10:38:41AM -0500, David C. Grosvold wrote:
> > Nope - that's not it, but your comment led me down a new path. Now that
> > you mention it, it happens after the On-Line update when SuSEConfig runs.
> >
> > Guess what? I just had to change the setting of CHECK_PERMISSIONS in
> > /etc/ sysconfig/security to "warn" rather than "set" and the problem is
> > solved!
>
> but anyway, SuSEconfig should not do anything in a $HOME. What user are we
> talking about? root or a mere mortal? The only thing which would explain
> this (to me) is some weird bind-mount or symbolic link into a home, but
> this is pure speculation.
>
> regards,
>
>    Stefan

What an interesting thought! We're talking about a mere mortal.

I thought I had this solved until earlier today. I updated something in YaST,
and once again, the permission bits on all the executables in my normal
user's home directory and below were changed from 775 to 675.

As far back as SuSE 7.3 I've maintained a symbolic link to /srv/www/htdocs in
my "mere mortal" home directory for convenience during web development.

To test, I removed the symbolic link, and reran SuSEconfig. The permission
bits were NOT changed after removing the link. You might be on to
something...

Hmmmmm.