Re: [suse-security] Strength and weaknesses of different encryption algorithems?

On Tuesday 21 October 2003 01:27 pm, Andreas Wagner wrote:
> * Emmerich Eggler wrote on Oct/21/2003:
> >
> > I've seen that there are recommandations of key lengths for different
> > usage (private, corporate, government).

I think recommended key lengths should be bound to use of algorithms as:
- symmetric algorithms typically have "short" keys and fast algorithms
  used for encryption of data streams etc.
- asymmetric algorithms typically have "long" keys and slow algorithms
  used for public key crypto, signing etc. Typically for these algorithms you
  would be thinking whether to use RSA with 768, 1024, 1536 or x bits
  long keys, or use DSA with key length of...

> > There are certainly also recommondation of encryption algorithmens for
> > different usage. Can someone point me to a webpage that covers this kind
> > of questions?

	I suggest you start by reading books by Bruce Schneier. The first and
recommended one being "Secrets and Lies, Digital Security in a Networked
World". That book will point you towards other problems than key lengths.
About algorithms, key lengths and such stuff there is another book by the
same author: "Applied Cryptography" which has descriptions of algorithms,
their weaknesses and such things. Enjoy. I would strongly recommend reading
both books in this given order as that will help you find out worse problems
than key lengths.

	Check www.counterpane.com, they probably have stuff on this and
links forward.

regards,