Re: [suse-security] Cannot access SuSE 9.0 through PuTTY

Hi !

> I am trying to access my machine at work with PuTTY (the latest
> version) and I keep obtaining "access denied"... though, I can
> connect from any machine running Linux... so... what's wrong in this
> picture? :)

--> You are using access by password not by key-pairs, are you ?
I had a similar problem: connection with PuTTY or the SSH.COM
Win-Client with password don't work but it works with secret key. With
a Linux client both method works.

In my case, it was due to a configuration in /etc/ssh/sshd_config
where I had a combination of:

# To disable tunneled clear text passwords, change to no here!
PasswordAuthentication no

# Set this to 'yes' to enable PAM authentication (via
# challenge-response) and session processing. Depending on your PAM
# configuration, this may bypass the setting of
# 'PasswordAuthentication'
UsePAM yes

If you put "UsePAM no" then password authentication will not work with
Linux client either. So you have two choices:

PasswordAuthentication no
UsePAM no
--> Password authentication will not be possible

PasswordAuthentication yes
UsePAM no/yes
--> Password authentication will work with both Windows and Linux
clients.

Hope this helps you !
Armin

--
Am Hasenberg 26         office: Institut für Atmosphärenphysik
D-18209 Bad Doberan             Schloss-Straße 6