Re: [suse-security] Re: [suse-security-announce] SUSE Security Announcement: kernel (SUSE-SA:2004:028)

Marcus Meissner wrote:

On Wed, Sep 01, 2004 at 09:06:23PM +0200, Rene Gallati wrote:

Al Bogner wrote:

I am unsure if the problems are solved in 2.6.5-7.108-default, because I downloaded the kernel today before I received this mail. Could you please name the kernels exactly, which have the bugs solved, in the announcement?

The previous version was 2.6.5-7.104, so you certainly have the new one.

I personally wouldn't mind a jump to 2.6.8.1 for a specific driverfix I may have a need to but probably will just try the next kernel of the day.

The 2.6.5-7.108 kernel contains the fix.

We will not upgrade to 2.6.8 in the stable product lines (9.1 and sles9),
however 9.2 will have a newer 2.6 kernel.

Well never say never, there may yet be some master bug forcing a version jump. Or what was the reason that there was a switch from 2.6.4 (SuSE 9.1 default installation) to the current 2.6.5 version ?

It's not that I absolutely must have a SuSE 2.6.8.1 kernel for 9.1, I can install and patch it myself, but somehow I always feel safer using a SuSE kernel (odd I know :) ) There is just one disconcerting problem I have on a box at a customer and potentially 2.6.8.1 may fix it for me because there were some changes in the involved driver.

--

C U