Re: [suse-security] SUSE Security Announcement: kernel (SUSE-SA:2004:028)

Rene Gallati wrote:
[...]
> Well never say never, there may yet be some master bug
> forcing a version
> jump. Or what was the reason that there was a switch from 2.6.4 (SuSE
> 9.1 default installation) to the current 2.6.5 version ?
>
> It's not that I absolutely must have a SuSE 2.6.8.1 kernel for 9.1, I
> can install and patch it myself, but somehow I always feel
> safer using a
> SuSE kernel (odd I know :) ) There is just one disconcerting
> problem I
> have on a box at a customer and potentially 2.6.8.1 may fix it for me
> because there were some changes in the involved driver.

Be aware that 2.6.8 and also 2.6.8.1 will kill CD-burning
and ripping (at least for non-Root Users).

There was/is a lot of discussion about that in suse-linux /
suse-multimedia.

So it doesn't matter which Kernel you choose: There will be some
problems with each Kernel. Mayby your hardware/software is affected;
maybe not. But definitly each of them has bugs.

Andreas