[suse-security] Machine freezing - 9.1 updated yesterday

Hi,
     I am sending the following to this list as there was considerable
comment here about hard disc freezing shortly after 9.1 was released and
this may afford some further insight into the problem - and solution?

     I have SuSE installed on an Acer Travelmate 530 and had no problems
with mouse or keyboard with 8.2. However, upgrading to 9.1 caused
apparently arbitrary freezes which appeared originally to be due to using
mouse or keyboard. After some help from SuSE this was tracked down to the
acpi module - probably having relation to the Synaptic mouse and battery
control being on the motherboard (?). Disabling this in the earlier 9.1
releases cured the problem.

     Associated with this freezing went a rather odd error in respect of
NFS mounts (I permit one specified IP address free access through the
Firewall). When attempting to write to the remotely mounted point, writing
would time out for no apparent reason if the linux hard disc concerned was
not actually rotating - ie no start-up occurred due to the NFS write.

     Having disabled acpi and enabled apm when booting, the freezes - and
the NFS disc writing problem - disappeared completely.

     I can now confirm that the problem still exists with the 2.6.5-7.108
kernel to which I updated yesterday. I have again disabled acpi and all is
again well.

                         Keith Hopper

--
City Desk