[suse-security] Help SuSEfirewall2 / ifup / kernel 2.6

This morning one of our firewall machines got reboot after a power failure.
After startup we were not able to remotely login: For some reason eth0
(internal) and eth1 (external) got mixed up.

Until SuSE 9.0 yast created for each interface a file named
ifcfg-eth0, ifcfg-eth1 etc. SuSE 9.1 uses something like
ifcfg-eth-id-00:0d:87:74:21:f3, ifcfg-eth-id-00:0d:87:74:21:f4 - ifconfig
shows eth0 and eth1 though.

My silly question is: How does ifup know on bootup which of these interfaces
should be eth0 or eth1? Do I have to add a line like ETHERDEVICE=eth0 in
ifcfg-eth-id-00:0d:87:74:21:f3 ?

Thanks a lot

Enrique

--