Re: [suse-security] Mailing Trouble ?!

Thanks for the replies.
I posted it to SuSE-security because it´s the only SuSE forum I subscribe
to, also I believed that my problem might be the result of either an
over-eager anti-spam software or my firewall.

> Your mx records show
> 0 router.leat.ruhr-uni-bochum.de
> 20 mi.ruhr-uni-bochum.de
>
> router.leat.ruhr-uni-bochum.de points to two A records  134.147.162.39 and
> 134.147.55.1, both of which accept connections on port 25, but just
timeout,
> no error message or anything.

134.147.162.39 is my external NIC, 134.147.55.1 my internal NIC.
Communication from outside my domain to 134.147.55.1 is blocked by the
firewall, this is intended.

Where can I change that so that my servers gives back the appropiate message
? I looked
at sendmail.cf but didn´t find anything I deemed useful in that matter.
Also, my knowledge of sendmail
is pretty limited.

> mi.ruhr-uni-bochum.de points to two A records 127.147.64.30 and
> 134.147.32.86, both of which accept connections on port 25 and give back a
> 220 message.
>
> I am guessing that because router.leat.ruhr-uni-bochum.de is accepting
> connections, but giving out a 220 message or any message for that matter,
> they may well be correct in not going to the backup mx.

So, how come I sometimes have mail communications from and to that specific
site, and sometimes don´t ? Also, this mail server has been running
continuously for two years now, and I never missed any mail that I know of.

> One other quick question, what does this problem have to do with Suse
> Security???

See above :)

Thanks for the help,

Jörg