Re: [suse-security] SUSE 9.0 Pro Production Quality?

On Thu, 9 Sep 2004, Eric Kahklen wrote:

> I had a discussion with my local LUG and a member had some interesting
> threads to share.  Basically it showed that SUSE 9.0 is not really a
> production level version.  For production level use, it is recommended
> to go with the Enterprise version of SUSE.  Has other people got this
> impression?  My concern is that my company can't afford to purchase any
> more software at this time so would I be better off looking at something
> like Debian?  I know this is kind of off topic, but basically I am
> curious if 9.0 Pro is secure and stable enough for my organization needs.

If you need reliable and timely support and long lifecycle you need an
enterprise edition.  If you're prepared to upgrade every 18 months or
so and don't need the extra support, you can manage with a normal
edition.

On this there is no difference of any significance between the major
distros, except of course that Debian has no enterprise edition.

I've got SuSE 9.0 production servers.  They don't give me problems. Nor
do my 8.2 and 9.1 servers.  I felt constricted and limited in my freedom
to work by SLES 8 when I ran systems with that, but this is a matter of
taste.

Bjørn
--
Bjørn Tore Sund           Phone:  (+47) 555-84894    Stupidity is like a
System administrator      Fax:    (+47) 555-89672    fractal; universal and