Re: [suse-security] SUSE 9.0 Pro Production Quality?

On Thursday 09 September 2004 10:53, Eric Kahklen wrote:
> I had a discussion with my local LUG and a member had some interesting
> threads to share.  Basically it showed that SUSE 9.0 is not really a
> production level version.  For production level use, it is recommended
> to go with the Enterprise version of SUSE.  Has other people got this
> impression?

	I think it depends on what you're using it for.  We use Pro 9.1 for
workstations, we're a cash generating company, they work like a charm -
easier to install and maintain than other distros we've tried.  I would think
that classifies them as "production level".  My experience has been that
"enterprise" linux editions tend to run with slightly older code than the
more adventurous leading edge releases like SUSE Pro or Redhat Fedora.  More
things have been debugged, there's a larger support team available(and you're
paying for it), and you'll probably get a little more sleep at night knowing
you're not being a guinea pig for new code.  Personal experience for me,
however, has been that 9.1 Pro is particularly stable and works wonderfully.

	Cheers,

	J.C.

Houdini/Renderman/Discreet                           425 Adelaide St W
416-504-0425                                         Toronto, ON Canada
jc@xxxxxxxxxx                                        M5V 1S4