Re: [suse-security] SUSE 9.0 Pro Production Quality?

That depends on your needs when it comes to production quality.  The
main reason why the SuSE Enterprise or even Redhat Enterprise is
considered to be "true production quality" is because, they have fewer
upgrades to the installed OS.  Instead they back port security patches
and only the very critical performance patches.  SuSE Personal and
Professional version will actually upgrade the software to newer
versions.  The difference here is that when you back port patches,
functionality doesn't change therefore it is much less likely for
something to break.  However, you can still have a production quality
installation of SuSE Pro simply by installing it and setting it up that
way.  Like minimal OS instllation to minimize the number of patches that
are needed, etc.  Running SuSE 9.x Pro can be perfectly fine in
production environments.  It's all up to how you administrate it.

On Thu, 2004-09-09 at 07:53, Eric Kahklen wrote:
> I had a discussion with my local LUG and a member had some interesting
> threads to share.  Basically it showed that SUSE 9.0 is not really a
> production level version.  For production level use, it is recommended
> to go with the Enterprise version of SUSE.  Has other people got this
> impression?  My concern is that my company can't afford to purchase any
> more software at this time so would I be better off looking at something
> like Debian?  I know this is kind of off topic, but basically I am
> curious if 9.0 Pro is secure and stable enough for my organization needs.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Eric
>
> --

David M. Fetter - http://www.fetterconsulting.com/

"The world is full of power and energy and a person can go far by just
skimming off a tiny bit of it." Neal Stephenson - Snow Crash